Sunday, February 13, 2011

san nicolas 7 - jan 31

Hey family!

Mom, you are officially the relief society president. Wow. Don't freak out, i'm learning a lot about how the Lord qualifies whom He calls. You just gotta remember to read your scriptures every day, and say your daily prayers and the Lord will guide you. By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. It's the consistency that helps, just keep it up, you'll be fine, you are definitely qualified mom, you have always been such a good example to me. I realize now more than ever how much you serve, and you never say anything about it. Like one time our neighbor brought back some of our tupperware, and I was so confused why he had our tupperware in the first place. He told me you had made some soup and brought it over for him. And I would have never known about it. You've always been a great friend to me too mom, I tell people here that my mom is one of my best friends. And it's true, we just have to share you a little more now with your new calling:) I love you, you'll do great. And dad, don't worry, your service does not go unnoticed either. Everytime I eat canned peaches here (which is a lot…they love that for desert here) I think of you. And everytime I testify about the importance of family prayer, I think of you, and tell others how you do it. So you guys are examples to people you don't even know, that live in another country.

But anyway. This week was great. We walked a little less, but not much. I asked my comp if missionary work is the way she thought it would be. She was like, “NO!” she says it's a lot harder than she imagined. It really is. She said she did not think it would be so physically demanding. It's hard sometimes to keep up the good spirit when you've been walking for hours and no one is home or no one can attend to you...and then to do the same thing the next day and the next day and the next day. Like you said dad, it's one of those things you have to take a day at a time, because if I think about doing this for another 9 months it's hard. But I can do it one day at a time.

I'm learning a lot about trusting in the Lord. I'm trying to follow the promptings I receive the best I can. The other day we taught a lady named Laura. She is 34 yrs old, she has a 4 yr. old daughter and lives with her “husband” but they aren't married…like most of argentina. She is catholic, but doesn't practice. She stopped believing in God a long time ago when her younger brother was born with physical deformities. But when her daughter, Pilar, was born 4 years ago, she was born 3 months early and they weren't sure if Pilar would make it. So Laura turned to the Lord because she didn't know what else to do. Her prayers were answered, and she now believes in God. But during the lesson I really felt guided by the spirit. We began teaching about prophets, from the Bible. And the thought came to me to ask her if she believes that God called prophets. But I was like, that's weird, I don't usually ask that question, and it seems like a silly question. But I asked it anyway… to my surprise she said she didn't believe in prophets…and then she told us how she has never really read the bible and doesn't know if it is true either. But I know that question was inspired by the Lord. So we were able to teach more about that and really focus on her needs instead of just teaching another lesson. But I have been feeling really blessed recently in our lessons, to know what to say.

My comp has started having some problems…like her ankles have been swollen the last couple days, and her hip is starting to hurt. I think it's just the physical demands of the mission. But we get along really well, she reminds me a little of April Mclellan, just the way she talks and her way of doing things sometimes. We both like to read, and she really likes music, and I would love to learn more about music. So a lot of times we sing church hymns as we walk and we try and harmonize. We work in the richer area, we work in “centro.” Everyday we get contacts for the other areas…because everyone goes to centro to go shopping and to eat and work. The 4 girls in the pench has been fun. I really like having a four girl pench. We all get along and it's good practice for my comp and her Spanish. And we do have fun together.

Well, I think that's it. I love you guys a ton a ton a ton! i'm trying to be good, I promise. I look forward to your letters next week. UN BESO GRANE!!! chao
hna. amundsen

No comments:

Post a Comment